Monday, October 28, 2013

Adjusting to Michigan

When I applied to the Penny W. Stamps School of Art & Design at the University of Michigan, I never seriously considered that this is where I would end up. I wanted to go to California. I wanted the warmth, the chilled out atmosphere, and to be able to drop everything and spend the day at a beach at a moments notice. Well, that is not how it turned out in the end. And to be honest, I think it is for the better. Although my life here is completely and utterly hectic at the moment especially, the people I have met here and the friends I have made are some of the best I have ever had.
Being in the art school has also been a totally new experience for me. Although I have always been fascinated with art, I had never taken it really that seriously before coming here. I was a very gifted young artist, making pieces such as these ones




















when I was only 10 years old. I compiled a lot of these works from when I was younger into an  online portfolio which I sent to Michigan when I was applying. The funny thing is, since then, I have not produced a lot of work, so to come here to Michigan and have almost 100% of my classes to be Studio Art classes has definitely been a shock, but one that I embrace. I like to think of myself as an easily adaptable person, so I am making the most out of it and learning a lot every day. I look forward to seeing where art school leads me, and what I find most interesting about it...

1 comment:

  1. I was on the same boat, thinking I was 100% set on moving out to California for school. Glad you're embracing every moment here though.

    P.S. Nice portfolio!

    ReplyDelete