Sunday, November 24, 2013

Blogs > Essays


I believe that the frequent blog post should be more heavily involved in college writing classes than long term papers. I say this for multiple reasons. Personally, I don't consider myself that strong of a writer. When it comes to essays, I just follow the rules that have been drilled into me all throughout high-school. I can find evidence, create a thesis, introduce my quotes, and then analyze them.

boooring
I have followed this same routine countless times, and yet, when it comes to creative writing, I don't know where to begin. I feel as though this class, with its constant blog posts, has given me more of an opportunity to express my feelings in my writing. Because I don't have to worry about following a set of rules set by some societal essay standard, I can actually begin to form my own style of writing.
I like knowing that what I am writing is open to the public. I can share bits and pieces of my life and I feel that when I am writing on my blog, there is actually a purpose behind it. I also like how much more expressive I can be in my blog writing. I can chose the topics I want to talk about, and in doing so, I often consider things I would normally not, and come to conclusions that I would normally not reach. In this way, my blog writing actually benefits me. Of course I still use the skills and techniques I learned while writing long, formal essays, but I can actually enjoy seeing my words come to life while writing about topics of interest, rather than analyzing quotes to some piece that does not resonate with me in the slightest. I think that while teachers should not get rid of the essay, they should definitely begin to weigh the blog post more heavily into their curriculums. 

No comments:

Post a Comment