Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Growers Growing on Growing

One particular example of a film growing on me that comes to mind is the old western classic Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. The first time I watched this movie, I hated it. My mom really wanted me and my brother to watch it and we watched it all together as a family. I found myself bored within the first 3 minutes. I had to sit through all of it, and I probably complained all the way through it, being the 13 year old that I was. However, recently, I watched this movie at my friend's house on Netflix. I barely remembered any of it when I saw it the second time five years later, but I really enjoyed watching it the second time. It was no longer so much boring as it was relaxing. I found it refreshing to see how different movies used to be back in the day.
I think that what changed between the two viewings was, for starters, my age. Watching this very slow, dragged-out movie as an 18 year old was definitely a very different, more endurable experience than when I was only 13. Also, the fact that I actively chose to watch this movie the second time, rather than it being forced on me, was a huge factor in why I liked it so much more the second time. Finally, watching this movie with friends in a more laid back environment definitely gave the whole experience a much different vibe - one that I embraced more.

sick scene

Although this experience of having something grow on me happens to me frequently, it usually happens with music more. This particular movie was one of the few that I gave another shot, after disliking it so much the first time. Perhaps it is a sign to be more forgiving of first impressions of movies in the future...

1 comment:

  1. I like the way you ended this post, but instead of perhaps I think that it is definitely a sign that you should be more "forgiving of first impressions" in the future. Maybe you can take this even further than movies and start to judge things less based on your first impressions. Although first impressions are important, clearly things can and will grow on you! Overall great job!

    ReplyDelete